Monday, January 25, 2010

Adventurer's Plight

Hello All! It seems that I have been sucked into the world of the blogger (at least temporarily). This is my second attempt at a first posting, as the first attempt was sadly deleted. That now non-existent first post was very well written and I was quite proud of it, and I'm gonna give it another go, but I have a feeling this second post will not have quite the same exquisiteness as the first. Forgive me. Read on if you wish.

The basic idea begins with one simple fact. I am an adventurer. I have made a habit of traipsing around the country (and occasionally outside of it) doing things that not a lot of people do...and not a lot of people really want to. This is what I love. This is what I crave...constantly.

My heart is truly satisfied when I am in some beautiful, foreign place with a good friend. We hike, paddle, bike, and often just sit in a location that is new. We exhaust our bodies. Sleepiness overrides the desire to be a polite people pleaser. Emotions, thoughts, questions, and doubts are laid bare for all to see. Things inevitably get tougher than I thought they would. At some point or points I will mention the fact that only crazy people live my life and find it enjoyable. And I doubt that I actually do enjoy it. But truth be told, at the end of every excursion I return with pictures, videos, and stories that I am all too happy to share with friends who quickly tire of my ramblings.

I love to share my experiences because it is during those moments that I feel most alive. It is when I'm doing something I didn't think I could handle that I finally feel as if I'm worth being around. The trouble with these adventures...coming back. See I've recently been pondering my love for exciting travels, and have as a result come to realize that I search for life in the things I'm doing. I live in adrenaline pumping moments. And the moments in between accomplishments are...well...nothing more than in between.

That's a lot of moments! That is a sum of many days that I view as wasted. Days that I feel weren't really worth living. Days that I don't think really fit into the big picture of my life.

Sad.

Very sad.

But I'm coming to see that there is no such thing as an "in between" phase in this life that I've been given. Every moment, whether I find it adventurous or not, is a moment in my life. And no matter how insignificant I may feel a time in life is, it is still just that. A time in life. Yes dear friends, life does continue even if noteworthy, endorphin-inducing moments are few and far between.

So here's the idea: Life-real life-is not found only in once-in-a-lifetime adventures. It is also found (and I propose found more prominently) in tiny moments that we may not see as worth mentioning. God did not create us to waste away the majority of our days waiting for the next big thing. We are not thumb-twiddlers who sit around oh so impatiently until something "worthwhile" comes our way. We are adventurers. People who live every day as if it actually matters because in reality...it does.

The goal for this tiny online snippet of my spider web brain is to use this blog that I have somehow been convinced to create as a means of recognizing and sharing small moments in life that actually matter. It seems that my travels have been suspended for a bit, so "small" moments are likely to abound.

Ah well, as I feared, this sad attempt at conveying my intended message did not come across with the same conciseness and power as I had originally typed. I'm tempted to keep typing in hopes that some of my original writing will make its way into this post, but we all know that our brains only want to read so many words at a time, and chances are I have already pushed past that limit. So tata for now friends.

Go live.



No comments:

Post a Comment