Thursday, February 25, 2010

HOORAY!

Today Gavin and I were sitting in the playroom going through our usual daily routine and I prompted him to say "ba, ba, ba...like ball." Until this afternoon such a prompt has always ended with me giving him a few seconds to respond then moving on to a different game because he is frustrated by the difficulty of speaking.

But we didn't move on today, because today those few seconds of waiting were not silent. Today Gavin responded!

Yeah, that's right; he said "ba, ba, ba."

At first I thought he was just making funny noises with no real intentionality behind them so I used the same prompt again. Lo and behold, same response. Then I used a different prompt and got no response. Then back to the first prompt...success again!

O my goodness the excitement that filled the playroom today then overflowed into the kitchen when I showed Gavin's mom our new sound.

So much joy filled that moment. Today was a success. Today Gavin grew a little. And today I have good reason to smile as I fall asleep.

And the source of so much happiness...nothing more than a simple letter "B."

No comments:

Post a Comment