Monday, February 8, 2010

Thank You

This afternoon I noticed a good ole country boy in a good ole country truck as I passed him on HWY 25. Apparently he noticed me too, because as I looked in my rear view to re-notice him (yes, I did) I saw that he was waving at me. This frightened me a bit. There's something sacred about being able to notice someone without having to actually interact with them...ever...and he broke that by waving at me.

Then he caught up to me. Then he started making hand motions toward the hood of my car. That's when I realized that he was not actually noticing me...he was noticing that my hood was open. Something is broken with the latch which causes the hood of my car to constantly flap about an inch above where the hood of a car should be calmly resting. This broken something leads me to discover quite a few nice people in the world who are genuinely concerned that my hood is going to fly up in my face as I drive down the road, and good ole country boy was one of them.

After motioning about my hood he rolled down his window, as did I, and we had a conversation during which I explained that my hood is always open so there's no need to worry. He replied with a deep southern drawl "Well, your car may be out of whack but at least you look good."

So he was noticing more than just my broken car.

Now I generally respond terribly to spontaneous flirting from random people,and country boy had broken my right to a non-interactive noticing moment...twice. So what did I say to his...er...compliment?

"Thanks." Then I sped away, hood flapping in the wind.

Thank you country boy. Thank you.

1 comment: